Thursday 21 December 2017

Guest room by Christmas challenge


Last Saturday My in-laws George & Sue are arriving from Sydney to say with us for Christmas. They have stayed with us before and do not expect anything special to be done for them. But this is the first time that they have come since my Kids have moved out. So this time its just us and them and we now have a few extra rooms I ceased the opportunity to make one into a guest room for them.So I set myself a challenge 10 weeks to transform my daughters old room into a relaxing guest room.              


this is how it looked before I started working on it. It had become a bit of a dumping zone. I have been hording up all kinds of things that I would like to up-cycle so a bit of a clean out was needed. 


The room looked lovely when the girls were younger, I was so proud of the stenciled boarder I had done. As my girls shared this room at the time I painted it both there favorite colors pink & purple. but this is so dated now its definitely time for a face lift. 
        

I painted the bottom purple half with a light colour paint I had bought for the Kitchen & didn't like how it looked so it made a great base coat. I patched and started cutting in     


 then came the good bit roller painting 


I cant believe the difference a coat of paint can make. I also painted the ceiling as Tamara had put posters on the roof and they had left tape marks.Them the window and trim needed painting the beige was just not the look I was going for it had to be white.
      
                                      

over the next 10 weeks I up-cycled or made nearly everything you see in this room. The paint was the most expensive part the wall & ceiling paint I brought when Masters was closing down so I got that for next to nothing. But the paint I used for the Furniture was chalk paint and cost me $100 for for 2 one litre tins of paint. I love how it turned out George & Sue were very pleased with it & Marty & I have been enjoying them staying with us.        


the overall feel of the room is peaceful and homely with my style of vintage with a slightly quirky feel,   
to read about the bed check out the post Here


 I made this sign out of pallets and add a quote that sums up how I feel about my home.
this sign is available in my Etsy store here



My mum was throwing out these butterfly so I rescued them, & they became the inspiration for the room.I have always loved insects & butterfly's are just beautiful.
  

the black frames my sister was getting rid of so I added butterfly's I printed on vintage music sheet and the dragonfly's are printed on a vintage dictionary page. 


the wooden Prism is my own design you purchase from my Etsy store
here  


the cute little lantern I was for tea light candles but I turner it into a electric bedside lamp. The side table is a log slice my husband cut and I used a stool I found on the road side for the base.  


 I Purchased this furniture from a second hand store I got all of it for only $400 and gave it a makeover myself post on that coming soon  
  
  
orchid from aliexpress & the Large glass bowl was a $2 purchase from tip shop I used oasis foam & bark chips to plant the flowers.  


I adding some personal items help to make our guests feel comfortable.
I hope you enjoy time with your loved ones this Christmas. 

enjoy!
    



No comments:

Post a Comment